-
December 5th, 2006, 02:23 AM
#1
Inactive Member
I have been seeing Model 15s and 14s appearing selling on eBay for princes ranging from $300 to over $1,000. I know that a decent set of 19s would sell for anywhere from $1,300 to way over $2,000 but what would 14s go for, typically?
Secondly, I am not at all familiar with 14s and was wondering how you more experienced audiophiles regard them. They certainly look comparable to the 19s only scaled down. I was wondering if the sound is likewise scaled down. For example, could you expect the really low tones to come through (as in pipe organ music)?
Thanks, John.
-
December 5th, 2006, 01:58 PM
#2
Inactive Member
The Base isn't as sweet or deep as the 19's. But the high's are as good or better IMHO...But true 19 fanatics will totally disagree with me. The 14's have a CD horn, but utilize the same driver as the later 19's (902-8a)...Earlier model 19's used the 802-8g. Off axis response on the 14's is real nice compared to the 19's....Overall the 19's are better.....They are one of the best speakers ever made. But I'm very happy with my model 15's....If you buy the 14's for $1000...I doubt you'll EVER be able to find a new speaker today selling at that price to come CLOSE to the 14's.
-
December 6th, 2006, 12:13 AM
#3
Inactive Member
I agree with Mike almost completely.
I love my 19s and my 15s and sold my 14s quite a while ago when the 19s arrived.
It's kind of a toss up between the 14s and 15s.
I like the 15 horns better and the 14 woofs better. I have heard others say they like the 14 horns better but few will disagree the 14 has the better bass even though the woofers are very close to the same, 14s VC is a bit larger.
I really think a great combo would be either the 14 or 15 horn coupled with a 414-8C woofer found in the 9849 speakers.
In the order I would give them 19s are King followed by 14s or 15s depending on which horn you like best. 14s have the styling over the 15s but the 802-8G horn drivers in the 15s are probably the most sought after driver Altec made. Thats also whats in most of the 19s until the very end of production.
If you want to hear a great 12 inch woofer then find the 414-8C which in my book will kick a$$ on either of the 14 or 15 woofs.
Have fun.
Gary
-
December 7th, 2006, 12:50 AM
#4
Inactive Member
Well, I have had all three models & the 19's are the best for larger rooms, believe me when I say, playing 19's in a room any smaller than 25'X 35'are not really getting the best from them IMHO.
The 14's are awsome sounding speakers in smaller rooms, in fact they perform better than the 19's when they are in a smaller room, & there is no shortage of bass with them at all, every bit as low as the 19's but they can't compete with the 19's in a large room, the soundstage of the 19's is awsome to behold, the model 15's are great speakers but the 14's sound better to me.
I've seen pristeen model 14's go for up to $700 on Ebay, if you can pick them up to save shipping that's bonus, & like MikeInNH says, they are indeed a bargain compared with what's available today at that price.
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.
Bookmarks